Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Ballet!

Wow! That's really the only way to describe it. The ballet was absolutely fantastic :)

I attended the American Ballet Theatre's performance of Romeo and Juliet at the Kennedy Center yesterday afternoon. I was blown away by not only the ability of the dancers to portray so much without using one word, but also the costumes and sets that were used. I now fully understand why going to prestigious theater performances is so expensive. But I'd definitely say I got my money's worth and will likely be attending as many Kennedy Center performances that my budget will allow. I can't believe I've been holding out so long to attend my first show there. Maybe it was for the better when my finances were so tight, but the door is now wide open.

I have so much respect for all of the ballet dancers. They all showed so much passion for what they were doing and were in the best shape anyone could imagine. My mind couldn't help but wonder how many hours of the day they spend either practicing or performing. And then in those few hours of down time they might have, what is it they do? Surely not stay in watching redbox movies and eating ice cream like I did last night. Just some food for thought.

It snowed nearly all day yesterday. But it wasn't like a Midwest blizzard or anything. It was just a lovely (long) snowfall with bearable temperatures and little wind. I was amazed by the beautiful nature of each individual snowflake as it fell upon my coat and stuck in my hair. Often times it's so easy to be annoyed by such things without taking just a moment to reflect upon them. I was reminded of the individuality of snowflakes and awestruck that God could create such beauty in something that so many people never take the time to notice. Though many of you are probably reading this from the Midwest and thinking you've had quite a rough winter, I hope you are able to take a few minutes the next time it snows to enjoy the beauty of a snowflake. Maybe it will help you get through until Spring arrives, or at least through a week or two :)

No comments: