Sunday, January 24, 2010

A New Year

Although we are already nearly a month into 2010, this is regrettably my first blog of the new year. My Christmas vacation in the Midwest was absolutely fantastic. I got to see nearly everyone I planned to spend time with, and I was even able to welcome my nephew Noah John into the world just before coming back to Washington. As usual, I loved all of the quality time I got to spend with friends and family, making it a bit difficult to come back home to DC.

The first few days back were rough for several reasons. I was exhausted after being on the go 24/7 while on "vacation," the electricity was out in my apartment and I had to stay in a hotel for two nights before being able to sleep in my own bed, and I inconveniently left my cell phone in Nebraska. Nonetheless, I made it through that first week back and spent most of the weekend recovering. But then I was really busy at work preparing for more than a handful of clients who were coming to Washington for a conference. My perfect schedule was ruined more than once, but we made it through last week seemingly unscathed. I even accompanied a group of Texas community development directors to their Senate appointments on Thursday - in my brand new suit! And I also dropped in my old Senate office to say hello to my former co-workers. We are hoping to all get together for a drink sometime this week...fingers crossed.

This weekend I was able to watch several of my kickball teammates in performances. Each were absolutely hysterical, and I can honestly say I laughed off a good number of my beer calories from Friday night. I also got to spend a significant amount of quality time with my friend Jessi and look forward to furthering our friendship in the upcoming months. With my roommate spending more and more time with her boyfriend, and my friend Michelle (who had been crashing with me for the last two months) moving to her own place this weekend, I am realizing that I need to make more of an effort to see other friends in order avoid spending time alone at home. With something to do and so many new people to meet, there simply is no reason for me to feel lonely. So I'm making a conscious effort to get out more.

During January, we've been doing a series at church on spiritual disciplines and my small group has been doing a Bible study on the book of James. The combination of these things, along with a new year's resolution to be in the Word more often, have led me to think and pray about what I'm giving back. About what kind of an impact I'm having in secular Washington. And about what I feel called me to move across the country after graduating college. I've not come anywhere close to answering these questions, but I am thoughtfully considering each of them. As I reflect on these subjects, I hope you will keep me in your prayers. And know that I am praying that each of you will take a few moments to reflect on how you're giving back.

"Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works." ~James 2:26

No comments: