Wednesday, January 27, 2010

National Compliment Day

Upon reading the title of this blog, I'm sure you're wondering if "National Compliment Day" actually exists or if it's something I conjured up all on my own. Though I'd like to take credit for such an enlightening day, the origin of this "holiday" dates back to 1998 and was founded by two women from New Hampshire. You can learn all about it on the official website: http://www.complimentday.com/MediaPage.htm.

Ok, so maybe there isn't all that much to learn about it. However, I did my best to give a handful of compliments and incite a few others today...even though I was a few days late in celebrating the holiday. If nothing else, it initiated a few smiles from strangers and a laugh or two at work.

Today I also saw and extraordinary amount of people with red hair. And I'm not talking about the vixen salon red hair, but naturally orange-red. No, I'm not trying to be condescending of the holiday by making fun of those who were born with red hair. All I'm saying is that it is abnormal to see so many gingers (4 women and 1 man) in such a short amount of time (during my 30-min morning commute). Maybe I should have gone out of my way to compliment each of them on embracing their natural beauty. I don't know. All I know is that this observation stuck with me throughout the day.

And as if my observation weren't strange enough on its own, my daily email devotion told a story of a fiery red-headed little girl. Huh? What are the odds of that? And what could it mean? Is God trying to tell me something. If so, I'm afraid it's going to take me a while to figure this one out. In the meantime, I hope you were able to find some enjoyment out of my ironic day.

*Signing off so I can tune in to President Obama's first State of the Union*

No comments: